Video Tutorial 5.1
Author: Nicolas R. Malloy
Geocaching is a great way to learn how to operate a GPS receiver while engaging in a casual activity with friends. While it is possible to use a smartphone during this activity, you should take the time to learn how to operate the GPS receiver. This step will ensure you have the experience necessary to complete other assignments in this course, including the final project.
Students who successfully complete this activity should be able to:
- Apply concepts learned related to Global Positioning Systems
- Practice navigation using a GPS receiver
- Demonstrate the ability enter and locate a waypoint using a GPS receiver
- Review the GPSMAP64 Quick Start Manual and go through the step of setting up your garmin. Practice Marking a waypoint. If you need more detailed information, you can read the GPSMAP64 Owners Manual.
- Watch each the videos below to learn about geocaching.
- Create an account at the geocaching website and log in.
- Choose 5 geocache points and located them.
What is Geocaching?
Finding a Geocache
Hiding a Geocache
Making a Favorite Point Worth Geocache
What are Geocaching Trackables?
What do you do when you find a Geocaching Trackable?
How to log a Geocaching Trackable