Mapping Noise Pollution Data Using GPS
The goal of this activity is to learn how to collect data using a GPS receiver and create a map. In this activity, you will start by recording noise levels in various locations on campus or near your neighborhood. You will use a GPS receiver to mark a waypoint at each spot. Then, you will download the data from the GPS receiver using DNRGPS software. After bringing the data into the ArcGIS software and you will create a small-sized map to be used as a figure in a lab report.
Students who complete this activity should be able to:
- Conduct a data collection project using a GPS receiver
- Practice downloading data from a GPS receiver using DNRGPS software
- Demonstrate how to save one or more GPX files as a single shapefile.
- Perform a table join in ArcMap
- Apply classification methods to quantitative data